St. Kitts and Nevis: The government of St Kitts and Nevis is optimistic that Canada will reintroduce the visa waiver it revoked last year because of concerns with the federation’s citizenship by investment (CBI) programme.
Foreign Affairs Minister Mark Brantley told the press that the Team Unity administration remains hopeful that the waiver, a former selling point of the programme, will be reinstituted.
“I think it is realistic, because they revoked it because they had certain specific concerns, it wasn’t a general policy of… visa privilege revocation for Canada. Indeed the very day that they revoked our privilege, they granted that privilege to Chile a nation of…17 million people, so clearly it wasn’t an issue of overall policy, it was rather a response by Canada to a specific concern and we know what that concern is in relation to our CBI programme and difficulties there. So we’ve engaged them,” the foreign affairs minister said.
Citing lax security concerns, Canada announced in November 2014 that citizens of St Kitts-Nevis would no longer be able to enjoy visa-free travel to Canada.
The Canadian embassy in Trinidad issued a release on November 22, 2014, stating that with immediate effect citizens of St Kitts and Nevis would require a temporary resident visa to travel to Canada.
According to the Canadian government, the visa waiver was rescinded due to concerns about the issue of passports and identity management practices within Basseterre’s citizenship by investment programme.